Building Application

When is a Building Permit required?

 A Building Permit is required for all building work such as:
• New dwellings, commercial buildings and workshops
• Farm buildings or outbuildings
• Alterations and /or additions to existing buildings
• Work that may involve a change of use of a premises, for example converting a garage into a bedroom.
• Garages, carports, and sheds
• Decks (both over and under 1 metre high)
• Other structures such as retaining walls or fences over specified heights
• Demolition work such as demolishing an existing house or shed
There are very few instances where a building permit is not required. For exemptions please refer to Building a shed in Tasmania Fact Sheet.Prior to commencing any building work, an application must be made on the approved form.
This is available from Tasmanian council’s web sites.
Tasmanian Local Government Areas static map (837 kb)

Building Application Checklist
• Building & Plumbing Application - Available from the following Council web sites. links.
• Site Plan – to be drawn by an Accredited Building Designer.
• 3 Sets of Floor Plans & Elevations – Provided by Cyclad Buildings.
• Engineer’s Certificate & Form 55 – Provided by Cyclad Buildings.
• Certificate of Title – Available from all Service Tasmania outlets.
• Certificate of exemption from TasWater
• Payment of Fees – Calculated once application accepted.

Take all of the above documents to a Building Surveyor (private or one appointed by the council) to receive a Certificate of Likely Compliance. Once a Certificate of Likely Compliance obtained, submit your application to your local council.

Once you have received the building approval, a Start work notice (Form 39 – supplied by the council) has to be filled out and submitted to the Building Surveyor by the owner builder or Cyclad Building where Cyclad Buildings has been contracted as the Accredited Builder.

Please contact your local Cyclad Buildings for any more information or help with the Building Application process.